The i2Coalition Public Policy Working Group is responsible for determining the specific responses for the i2Coalition in regards to global policy issues that are important to the Internet’s infrastructure. Recent achievements center around Net Neutrality and surveillance reform, achieved through engagement with the FCC and in support of the USA FREEDOM Act in the U.S., respectively. The Working Group is currently focusing attention on a number of important issues including patent troll reform.
The i2Coalition engages in policy matters in accordance with its General Mission Statement and meets regularly to discuss issues that arise that fall within our scope. Policy Group members take an active role in reviewing policy and writing briefs on behalf of i2Coalition that support the industry’s goals. The i2Coalition believes that an open and free Internet drives economic growth and enhances the lives of people around the globe. As an organization, we promote policies that foster continued development and expansion of the Internet.
Recent Public Policy Working Group projects include:
- We participate in the Digital Due Process Coalition (DDP) and delivered key Congressional sponsorships in a collective fight to reform the Electronics Communications Privacy Act (ECPA).
- We provided comments on the importance of an open Internet to maintain the continued growth of the cloud to the FCC in response to its Net Neutrality proposal.
- We led an aggressive advocacy campaign in five key cities to reform the patent system and to curb the patent troll litigation issues that devastate our industry.
- We were leaders in a coalition that helped drive core support for the USA FREEDOM Act, the largest reduction of U.S. surveillance authority in a generation, which passed in early 2015.
- We actively speak out against the expansion of Internet surveillance worldwide, including being a voice against Bill C-51 in Canada.
- We actively engage in the debate on the role of encryption in the digital economy.
- We submitted an amicus brief in the important Microsoft Ireland email privacy case.
- We’ve taken an important role in educating U.S. lawmakers on the IANA transition as part of our focus on the DOTCOM Act.
- We provided strategic counsel and comments on the proposed NIST cybersecurity framework.
Recent Updates On US Policy
i2Coalition & eco – Association of the Internet Industry invited experts to discuss the future of intermediary liability on both sides of the Atlantic in a roundtable webinar that happened Oct 15, 2020. Hosts:● Thomas Rickert, eco● Christian Dawson, i2Coalition Guest speakers:● Melinda Clem, Board of Directors, i2Coalition and Vice President of Strategy, Afilias● Oliver […]
The Internet Infrastructure Coalition (“i2Coaltion”) is among several leading technology industry organizations asking both House E&C Committee and House Judiciary Committee leadership to oppose H.R. 8454, a new bill would have unintended consequences that run contrary to its stated intension of preventing online child sexual exploitation. The i2Coalition is the voice for businesses that build the […]
Your quick update on important Internet policy issues. With less than two months until the November 3 Presidential election, Congress is primarily focused on passing bills to avoid a shutdown by continuing to fund the government, and whether and how to provide additional COVID19 economic stimulus relief. Bipartisan negotiations on the COVID19 relief package have […]
The Internet Governance Forum USA (IGF-USA) is a conference that engages with the issues most relevant to the future of the Internet. It brings together a range of individuals spanning civil society, government, technologists, research scientists, industry and academia. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s IGF-USA will be held virtually as a two-day conference […]