Top 10 Reasons to Participate in Internet Education Day
On March 4-5, the i2Coalition will hold its 2nd Annual Internet Education Day. We’re headed back to Capitol Hill to continue educational efforts about the Internet. The Internet infrastructure industry builds the “nuts and bolts” of the Internet and is particularly qualified to educate lawmakers about how it works.
While there are numerous reasons why we’re excited about Internet Education Day, I’ve outlined our top ones below and why the Internet community should help. Please take a moment to read about the top 10 reasons to join in on March 4-5 and help promote our efforts for the Internet.
Top 10 Reasons to Help (in no particular order)
1. Celebrate the Internet – Join the i2Coalition and the Consumer Electronics Association for our Internet Day welcome reception and celebration on Tuesday, March 4! The event begins at 6:30 p.m. at Ping Pong Dim Sum in Washington, D.C. RSVP here or email [email protected].
2. Education – A fundamental understanding about the Internet, how it functions, and thrives is critical in any conversations about how it should be governed. Education is the cornerstone in that understanding.
3. Internet Champions – Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) and Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) will each be receiving the i2Coalition’s “Champion of Internet Innovation” award. Thank them for their efforts on behalf of the Internet.
4. Best practices – Cindy Southworth, Vice President of the National Network to End Domestic Violence, will be one of the featured speakers at our March 5 event at 2pm EST to discuss how to fight piracy, fraud, and child endangerment. (RSVP here)
5. Learn from experts – Ximena Hartsock, President of Phone2Action, will also be speaking at the event about the importance of learning how the Internet works and what players exist in the Internet community. (RSVP here)
6. Our members – i2Coalition members are essential to the Internet and do incredible work for our industry. Members participating on March 4-5 on the ground include: Cheval Capital, cPanel, Data Foundry Inc., Endurance International Group, Firehost, Gandi.net, Hedgehog Hosting, Jumpline, LeaseWeb USA, Inc, Open Xchange, Rackspace, ServInt, W. David Snead PC, Webnet Hosting, and WiredTree. Learn more about joining the i2Coalition.
7. Public policy – From ECPA to patent reform and privacy, find out more about the biggest legislative issues facing the Internet and tech community, how the i2Coalition is involved in the fight, and what you can do to make a difference.
8. Ongoing communication with leaders – this is our 2nd Annual Internet Education Day. If you missed last year’s event, watch our video featuring Reddit Co-Founder Alexis Ohanian, Senator Jerry Moran (R-KS), Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR), and Congressman Darrell Issa (R-CA).
9. Internet freedom – Keeping the Internet free and open is crucial for the future of this vital engine for economic growth. Bad legislation constantly threatens the future of the Internet and it’s during Internet Education Day that we have an important opportunity to showcase and effectively communicate what is needed for further innovation.
10. Help from the comfort of your computer – While Internet Education Day is happening in D.C., you don’t have to be there to participate. Check out the numerous ways you can get involved and join us in our efforts to educate lawmakers about the Internet.